Sunday, September 5, 2010

Another week flew by. Monday morning I went to my internship to review the files of some of the children I'll be working with (school doesn't start until tomorrow, so there wasn't much else to do). I told my director that I of course know everything is confidential and if she sees me writing anything it's just for new vocabulary, but she was like "no, no Daniel told me all about your project, take what you need." So that was super helpful. For those who don't know, I'm doing a senior honors project for Elizabethtown... After a few hours I pretty much decided on a needs-assessment for the parents, so I'm going to spend today writing up my questionnaire so my director can review it this week.

My friend Felipe has been telling me he had some "cool" place to show me, so we did that Monday afternoon. I thought for sure it was going to be some corny view of the city, a volcano, etc., so was a little skeptical... but he ended up bringing me to a used book store in Quito! It has the largest collection of English books in all of Ecuador. It was awesome, like when Beast gives Beauty the library. After that we went to eat at La Naranjilla Mecanica, this gallery/grunge restaurant that is famous for their French onion soup. It was delicious, in a I don't taste anything like French onion soup way. I've had it here a couple times now and it's something about the cheese... Anyway the menu was set up like a comic book, with its own story going on.... It was such a cool day.

Tuesday was my second day of class. I had my first actual aerobics class... I'm just now able to walk normally again. It was so intense. You know how most girls do the hover in public (I accidentally typed pubic at first) bathrooms? Well right after class I went to the bathroom and seriously half fell in the toilet. My "glutes" and thighs were just shot. But the class is also really fun. Since I don't have any break times throughout the day it's my stress reliever. Plus my teacher played a Lady GaGa techno melody the whole time :)

I talked to my Leadership teacher about maybe having a meeting time or something since the reading load is so intense and I couldn't understand um a lot of it. He was super helpful and told me where I could find most of the readings in English, so I'm really excited about that since it's the only class I actually need for Elizabethtown. Also, on Tuesday I officially won my battle with Etown's registrar. I'm pretty sure it had a lot more to do with not wanting to hear from me anymore than my actual argument but whatever. I have a Humanities. Hmm I can't really remember anything else on Tuesday... I helped my sister with her English homework a few times this week. It's so weird seeing the same bizarre exercises we used to have to do for Spanish, but in English. Also she needed me to explain when to use much vs many vs a lot of, and explain the difference between "few" and "a few".... It's like impossible.

OH! Thursday was my school's 22nd anniversary (I guess they celebrate every year) so there were no classes from 10-1. In our giant plaza thing there was an awesome band, free cake, and FREE, UNLIMITED CHAMPAGNE... only in Ecuador, actually probably just anywhere but the U.S. It was awesome. I don't do too well with self-control when it comes to champagne/wine, so Liz was babysitting me, but by the time we got to Spanish my professor was like "how many of you are drunk?" Thursday night my family went out to eat, which turned into like a 3 hour affair because we all started to watch the U.S. Open. The restaurant was like a step above fast food, but it was so nice, no amazing, to have a fattening, disgusting cheeseburger.

Friday I had to meet my jewelry-making professor in the Historical Center to buy my class's materials. It was really lame, but I got 2 hours towards my Friday labs, so that was awesome, since I can't make any of them because of my internship. Then Friday night Julie and Sachiyo taught my family how to make sushi. It was so much fun! Even though it seems pretty easy and I'm sure you could learn off the internet, it was a really cool way to learn. That took a while... and then after that mine and Julie's families played board games until like 1:00am. Anyone who knows me knows about my competitiveness, ESPECIALLY with Pictionary.... it was the must humbling experience having to play Pictionary, in Spanish. Nearly killed me.

Yesterday, Liz, Lily and I went to the Artisan's Market and had lunch in the city. Then I came home and had dinner with my family, and then my parents went out because they had a reunion. So Liz and Lily came over and we got schwasted and smoked a little.

That's a lie. We actually watched The Incredibles on my laptop and were all asleep by midnight.

I woke up like 4 times in the middle of the night because my throat was so scratchy and now today I have a really bad cold. It's miserable.

1 comment: