Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I am so lazy.

Lalalalalala what happened last week? Monday, Wednesday, & Friday I have my internship, and working with children with learning disabilities is definitely not something that can be done hungover or tired, so I can't really go out during the week at all. Melany, the 2 year old I am in love with has really started to come out of her shell. It's amazing how much personality someone can show when they can't talk. She has started sticking her tongue out in retaliation a lot, but I told her next time she did it I was going to take it. Haha. She is terrified of me. Yesterday she started to stick it out and her eyes almost popped out of her head.

I love working with all of them, but I am definitely doing more teaching/babysitting/occupational therapy... not really social work, definitely not the administrative part anyway, but that's fine. It's just so awesome how they've all opened up to me. There is another girl in the class I always sort of felt hated me, but now I have to force her to stop hugging me and do her work. I lovvvvve them all. The teacher in my classroom is also really great. She involves me a lot... maybe too much in fact, because the second she leaves to get coffee (which mysteriously takes 20 minutes) all of the kids go crazy. I literally have to stand in front of the door and beg/physically force them into their seats. But I definitely can't complain that I'm not getting enough responsibility. She also asks me a lot of questions about my studies, project, etc so it really helps with my Spanish.

Oh but one morning I worked in a different classroom for another hour just to see what it was like. It was horrifying. There is a boy in the class with Down Syndrome and EXTREME hyper activity. But whenever he won't listen and gets out of his seat the teacher threatens him with food. She literally takes out his lunchbox and starts giving all of his food to the other kids and is just like "Oh Stephen doesn't want to eat today." Ah it's so messed up, for the other kids too, because then they never actually get to keep the food she gives them.

What else. Wednesday I went to see the sketch for my tattoo and I LOVVVVVEEEEEEE IT! I'm waiting to find out when I can schedule the appointment but I want it like...now. Surprisingly, both of my moms really like it too. Well as a drawing at least, maybe not as a tattoo. Afterwards, Liz and I walked around and got ice cream at the best ice cream place in the world.

Thursday I was the only person who got to start making jewelry in our whole class! [But today I messed up and am starting over on Thursday haha] I think Thursday night Lily and Liz came over to watch a movie... oh yeah we watched Yo Robot. Friday I had my internship, tried to work on grad school applications, and then we went out to La Mariscal. We went to Strawberry Fields Forever, this bar where every drink is a Beatles song and there is paraphernalia all over the walls. It was cool but pretty much all tourists. At like 3am I had the best cheeseburger I have had since I've been here... or it certainly seemed so at the time. It was from a fast food joint named G-Spot. Hmm.

Saturday Liz and I went shopping and then at night we had a tour of the Historical Center with our program. The Historical Center is the really colonial looking part of Quito. It's beautiful and there's a lot to do at night. We had an actor, "el diablo," give the tour throughout different churches and sites in the center. After that we just walked around, shopping and eating. Sunday (early) morning some of the people from our group went to South Quito, which is the more poor "dangerous" part of the city. We did a tour and then volunteered in a daycare center for a few hours. The parents were there and we did a lot of activities together, which again was really cool because I used a lot of Spanish. We had arts & crafts together and made these AWESOME/hideous visors and had lunch together.

Other randomness: My leadership teacher told me he PREFERS my papers in English so that my ideas will be more developed. Score. Oh, strangely enough samples are really big here and in the super market this weekend they were giving out these things: crackers with dulce de leche, which is almost like a caramel spread, and mozzarella cheese on top. It is DELICIOUS. I don't know how but the flavors really work. I'm salivating just thinking about it.
Milk here doesn't need refrigerated. It scares me.

Last night I watched Johnnie do a back TUCK via skype :)

Ok I need to go stress over grad school applications or my honors project now. For those who are wondering I am applying to 3-4 of the following schools:
Columbia
Boston College
Temple
UMD
University of Texas- Austin
University of Denver

I've been here for over 2 months already :O

No comments:

Post a Comment